February 7, 2009

with great power...

Pattern: Knitting For Our Troops (K4OT) beanie
Yarn: Paton's 100% wool in Deep Olive
Needles: 16" circular Bamboo, size 7

Last weekend, there was a knit-a-thon in Denver to make helmet liners/beanies for our troops. Various knitting stores around the city hosted all-night knitting events, or all-day knitting events, in hopes of donating 5,280 hats. (They ended up with over 5,300 and counting!) I really wanted to go, but the timing just didn't work out. I still wanted to participate, however--you can too, as locations are still accepting donations. The pattern is super simple, and can be found here.

All I need to do now is put these stitches on dpns, and I should be good to go. (I'm very excited to almost be finished with this little project because I've been wanting to donate something knitted for a long time...I just wasn't sure where to start. I first saw this opportunity on a white board while walking into Whole Foods--yes, they were hosting a knitting group!--and thought, well, there ya go.)

As Stan Lee would say: "With great power comes great responsibility." This no doubt applies to knitters as well... ;) Let's use our skills to remember those in need.

PS. Here's more info about the USO (United Service Organization), which was instilled by President Roosevelt to provide "morale, welfare, and recreation-type services to our men and women in uniform."

1 comment:

leanne said...

I love this! What a great color and a great purpose. It will be much appreciated I'm sure.