May 31, 2011

hints of summer


We spent the weekend outdoors and semi-camping, going up to Guanella Pass for a day with Livi and Dex. It was beautiful! And it was Liv's first time in the mountains... she loved it. Especially since Rachel, Julie's little girl, was there to greet her as soon as her little feet hit the ground. She led Liv around by the hand most of the day, and helped her adjust. I brought three sets of clothes "just in case," and didn't have to change her once--I thought she'd get a lot dirtier! I guess I should just be thankful it wasn't muddy.



And how cute are these little chairs? Yup, Liv was livin' it up.

It's supposed to reach into the 90s this week (yikes), and the onset of heat has been a welcome change... mostly because my plants aren't cowering in fear of hail or snow anymore, but are actually thriving.

 Lavender and Rosemary


 Vinca, around our tree in front (I love the dual shades of purple!)

 Mini-irises near the front door

 These are beautiful, but at first I found them kind of odd... I didn't realize they'd be so "mini!" They remind me of sparklers, or firecrakers.


My biggest victory yet this year in the garden: I DIDN'T KILL MY IRISES! I was so worried I'd ruined them when I transplanted them, but one has bloomed, and there are more blooms growing... they should be full &  lovely next summer once they've completely acclimated. Horray hurrah!

Prism Sunshine petunias, my favorite windowbox flower :)

And some cheerful daisies, by the front gate. I threw seeds out two years ago in the fall and have been happy to see them thrive since.

In other plant news, I'm waiting to see if my tomatoes survived the wind and cold of last week; I have three pepper plants I just put out yesterday, and I have some daylily's and snapdragons working their way to bloom. I can't wait. I'm excited to spend lots of time outside this year (as much as baby #2 will tolerate!) and show Liv how to pull weeds and water plants. Good times.

1 comment:

Julie said...

You do have a green thumb!