March 23, 2011

granola parfait.

With all of the sunshiney mornings we've been having lately, I can't help but think of all the lovely fruit that's on its way this summer... and that made me think of yogurt parfaits, which made me think of homemade granola, which I haven't made in for.ev.er.  As soon as I woke up this morning, I knew I had to make this yummy munchy stuff for breakfast.

Super-easy recipe:

HOMEMADE GRANOLA

1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup water
4 t. pure vanilla extract {i actually used almond extract today}
1 t. salt
8 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups chopped walnuts {optional; I opted out of these today}

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Combine brown sugar and water in microwavable bowl, and microwave for 3 minutes. Remove and stir; add vanilla and salt. Add oats and nuts to the mixture, and stir thoroughly, until all oats/nuts are covered. Spread on a cookie sheet and bake 45-60 minutes until golden and crunchy. Let cool before putting in an airtight container.

 

So I made Liv and I yogurt parfaits for breakfast--hers sans granola as the girl only has two teeth--and we "yummed" together and enjoyed the morning.


Livigirl loves fruit now, particularly green grapes. I love watching her light up when you get some of her favorite foods out {yogurt, graham crackers, milk, green beans, string cheese}, maybe because I'm easily exciteable when it comes to favorites too--something R always teases me about. ;) I'm glad she liked the fruit with the yogurt; I promised her we'd make more soon. And as soon as those teeth come in, I'll add some granola.

2 comments:

leanne said...

Love those cute little teeth!! Yeah for granola. It's funny, I've been thinking about making some of that:)

Phil and Danielle said...

Yummy! This looks great. I think I'll give this a try tomorrow. Thank you for sharing. :)