April 27, 2009

life management

Hi friends--sorry it has taken me so long to post something new on here. Projects are on the table, but finding time to complete them has been pretty much non-existent. Bah. I've been finding myself either running, visiting with friends, or watching Seinfeld with R-man instead of sitting down in the craft room... 

I have, however, found time to begin reading again. I finished the Five Love Languages, by Gary Chapman a couple of weeks ago, which sparked some fun conversation for the hubs and I (my top love language is Quality Time), and now I'm reading Life Management for Busy Women, by Elizabeth George. I picked up this book last week for some Godly suggestions on how to balance life and all its craziness, because really, the more advice, the better, right? :)

She begins by emphasizing spending time in prayer and the Bible before beginning your day, even if for just a few minutes. She likens it to giving the "firstfruits" of your day to the Lord, which is a good argument for studying in the morning... I've always been partial to do it at the end of the day as a way of unwinding, but after reading verses about David calling out to the Lord "in the morning," I'd like to try get some reading in before work. (I have the Bible on CD, which would be a great way to "read" during my 30-40 min drive to work.)

It's tough when you have so many things you want to do, and only so much time! I feel like I am constantly prioritizing, re-prioritizing... it will be nice to focus on the basics regarding the Lord, and letting the rest fall into place, which I believe will. My daily to-do list is always in flux, but on my creative to-do list this week:

-Thank You notes
-Finish sewing pillow covers for living room pillows

And that's all I'm committing to. :) Here's to managing time well... 

2 comments:

leanne said...

Sounds like a good book! You'll have to pass along the info...I do love starting the day in the Word, but ever since I started getting up at 5:20 and leaving at 6:00 it just hasn't happened. I need to prioritize too!!

Rae said...

I read another Elizabeth George book a few years ago. I can't remember the title, but it was also something about being a godly woman and I remember liking it at the time.

This reminder to pray in the morning is quite timely. I've been realizing that I simply must start setting aside at least a little time first thing and last thing every day if I expect to ever really have my days filled with God. I've got the middle of the day covered and have been pretty successful with the end, but somehow the whole morning thing hasn't improved. Yet.

Best wishes for your efforts!