March 2, 2009

busy as a robin


I woke up this morning to fervent chirping. As I was getting my oatmeal ready, and heating up water for tea, I let Dex out and saw a large congregation of birds in our neighbor's backyard...Tons and tons of Robins! Their pudgy little red bellies were everywhere. Our neighbors have bird feeders and bird baths, and have a gorgeous yard in the spring and summer, which I'm sure is stocked to the 9's with ripe worms. Bird paradise.

I eventually took Dex for our morning walk, and saw more Robins along the way. I held my breath a little as I saw yellow, white, and purple crocus beginning to sprout from my neighborhood yards. I wish I had taken my camera! Can it really be spring already? We've hardly had a winter! 

We made our way back home, and Dex and I ran up to our front garden, curious to see if any of our own tulips or spring flowers have begun to pop yet. A few have, but they're just green tips so far. Somewhat relieved I hadn't missed our first colors of Spring, I let Dex off his leash and we sat on the front porch steps for a few minutes. These verses came to mind as I sat pondering, and I was so pleased to look them up once we went inside:

"But now ask the beasts, and let them teach you; and the birds of the heavens, and let them tell you... Who among all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this [created the world], in whose hand is the life of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind?" -Job 12:7-10

Watching these birds flutter about, and Dex enjoy the morning sunshine with his tongue out and eyes gleaming, reminded me that the Lord is good. And what He has created is beautiful and majestic, even in my humble little neighborhood. We live in a fallen, soiled world, and even nature itself realizes God is who He is, and yearns for the day when things are made perfect again (Romans 8:22). Dex is a crazy dog, but he's living as God made him. :) These little robins are nesting and working quickly about, because this is how God made them.

How much more should I realize who the Lord is and live wisely, as He has purposed me to do? I've heard the quote, "the earth laughs in flowers"... But I also think the earth reveals the Lord's glory in flowers, and for that I am thankful.

"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living." -Psalm 27:13

1 comment:

leanne said...

I love it! Thanks for the reminder. God is so good. I love those moments when we can just sit in his creation and think of Him. And running two miles...you go girl!!